10 essential soft skills for information technology
Check out a full list of important soft skills for IT professionals to know and improve for career success in the information technology industry.
The author of this article is EPAM project manager Eber Pinto.
The information technology (IT) field is constantly evolving, and technical people are always in demand. Simply having technical expertise, however, is not enough to thrive in this industry. The IT industry is looking for more than just technical skills; it is also seeking professionals with strong soft skills. The term “soft skills” refers to personal attributes, character traits, and interpersonal skills that complement an individual's technical skills. In this article, we will explore the essential soft skills that are needed for career success in the technology industry.
What are IT soft skills?
Soft skills are the personal attributes, social skills, and communication abilities that allow people to effectively work with others. Soft skills can help tech specialists interact successfully with customers, work well with colleagues, lead teams, communicate effectively, and — ultimately — help the company succeed. Soft skills are needed for various tech jobs, including software engineering, project management, IT support, cybersecurity, and others.
Essential soft skills for IT professionals
Why are IT soft skills important in the workplace?
In today's world, technical skills alone are not enough to excel in the tech industry. Tech professionals also need soft skills.
The soft skills identified above enable tech professionals to work effectively in diverse teams. They support and enhance collaboration, prioritization, and the successful completion of deadline tasks.
Well-developed soft skills make tech employees more versatile and valuable employees.
In addition to being essential for success in the IT industry generally, soft skills are crucial for career growth and advancement. Leadership roles require strong soft skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, and conflict resolution. These skills are necessary to manage teams, communicate effectively with stakeholders, and deliver projects on time and within budget.
Companies that prioritize soft skills when hiring and training are more likely to create a collaborative, productive, and efficient workplace. By investing in the development of soft skills, tech professionals and their companies can stay ahead of the competition and succeed in the ever-evolving tech industry.
How can people improve their IT soft skills?
If you're a tech professional who wants to advance your career success in the industry, it's crucial to improve your IT soft skills. There are a number of ways to do this:
- Practicing your soft skills regularly is the best way to improve them. You can improve your communication skills by practicing the presentation of technical information to a non-technical audience or by actively listening to your colleagues.
- Feedback is an essential tool for improving soft skills. Seek feedback from your colleagues, managers, or mentors for suggestions about how you can improve your skills. Self-reflection is also an excellent way to identify areas in which you need to improve.
- There are many online courses, workshops, and seminars that focus on developing soft skills. You can enroll to learn new skills or improve existing ones.
- Joining professional networks, such as industry associations or online communities, can help you build your networking skills and connect with like-minded professionals. It can also provide opportunities to learn about the latest industry trends and best practices.
- Volunteering for projects outside of your comfort zone can help you increase your adaptability and gain experience in new areas. It can also provide opportunities to work with new colleagues and learn from them.
- Finally, reading industry blogs, books, and other resources can help you stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices. It can also provide new ideas and insights for improving your soft skills.
How can people showcase tech soft skills during a job interview?
During a job interview, tech professionals can impress potential employers by showcasing their ability to work with others, communicate effectively, and adapt to changes in the workplace. Here are some useful tips on how to spotlight soft skills during a job interview:
- Be specific: When answering interview questions, give specific examples of how you've applied your soft skills in past jobs. For instance, if you're asked about your communication skills, talk about how you effectively conveyed technical information to a non-technical colleague.
- Demonstrate your adaptability: Mention times when you had to learn and adapt quickly to new processes, systems, or technologies in the past.
- Talk about teamwork: Collaboration is crucial and employers want to hire people who can work well in teams. Share examples of how you've worked in diverse teams and contributed to successful outcomes.
- Show off your problem-solving skills: Be ready to talk about how you've resolved conflicts, made tough decisions, and tackled complex problems in your past jobs.
- Focus on your time management skills: Discuss how you've prioritized tasks, met deadlines, and managed your workload effectively in your previous roles.
- Highlight your leadership potential: Be ready to talk about how you've managed teams, mentored colleagues, and contributed to the success of projects.
By accentuating their soft skills, tech professionals can differentiate themselves from other candidates and increase their chances of success in job interviews.
To sum up, technical expertise alone is not sufficient for success in the information technology sector. Soft skills such as communication, teamwork, problem-solving, time management, adaptability, leadership, emotional intelligence, creativity, customer service, and networking are critical. These skills allow IT professionals to work well with others, explain technical concepts to non-technical personnel, resolve intricate issues, handle their time efficiently, and adjust to new technologies and procedures. Soft skills are necessary for success in the tech industry and also for career growth and advancement, particularly for those aspiring to assume leadership positions.
More articles on the topic:
- How to learn EnglishLearn04 August 2022
- Learning English effectively: a modern approachLearn07 April 2023
- Anywhere Club turns 1 year oldCommunity19 May 2023
- 6 useful books for a novice DevOps engineerLearn12 May 2023
- What is a QA Automation Engineer and how can you become one?Work10 May 2023
- From policeman to QA EngineerWork05 May 2023
- Cloud adoption from a project management perspectiveLearn05 May 2023
- Roadmap for a junior Java developerLearn15 May 2023
- 6 stereotypes about life in HungaryRelocate30 June 2022
- IT language of the Back-End DeveloperLearn02 May 2023
- How to start a career as a UX Designer without work experienceWork18 April 2023
- IT language of Front-End DeveloperLearn10 April 2023
- How to change jobs without making a mistakeWork03 May 2023
- 20+ useful sources for learning JavaLearn23 May 2023
- Where and how to prepare for the profession of the futureLearn18 May 2023
- IT Language of UI/UX DesignerLearn17 May 2023
- English through music: learn and have funLearn04 November 2022
- Why we burn out and how to deal with itLearn14 April 2023
- Is it possible to burn out even at your favorite job?Work25 April 2023
- How to compose a resumeWork16 August 2022
- How to distribute an iOS App: 4 casesLearn15 February 2023
- What is bootcamp: how does it work and for whom is it suitableWork30 January 2023
- A Business Analyst is the profession of the future, isn’t it?Work21 April 2023
- 3 facilitation case studies: better and worse scenariosWork31 October 2022
- Best practices for data modeling and data cleaning in Power BILearn08 May 2023
- What you need to know to relocate to SerbiaRelocate26 May 2022
- How do you choose the best IT profession for you?Work17 March 2023
- Starting your coding journey with Python: a helpful guide for beginnersLearn26 May 2023
- What does a business analyst do?Work25 May 2023
- Mass layoffs in IT? An experienced financial advisor shares his thoughtsWork27 March 2023
- How do you draw positive attention to yourself?Work23 December 2022
- How to outsmart iOS widget documentation?Learn05 April 2023
- How to ask for a raise or promotionWork09 December 2022
- What is Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and why is it Important?Learn17 April 2023
- The easiest programming languages to learnLearn07 September 2022
- Soft skills are 85% of a person’s success in a professionWork29 December 2022
- How to pass a technical interview: tips from an expertWork04 April 2023
- Relocation is like the first child's birthRelocate23 May 2022
- IT language of the Business AnalystLearn23 January 2023
- How can a programmer without work experience find a jobWork01 February 2023
- The basic rules of the interviewWork08 February 2023
- How to find your own direction for development in ITWork22 March 2023
- Women in the IT industry: myths and factsWork24 March 2023
- How to become a Tester in three weeksWork19 May 2022
- Home for every IT professional in the worldCommunity19 May 2022
- What should a beginner Automation QA Engineer learnLearn29 September 2022
- How tech professionals can benefit from trying new team rolesWork24 May 2023
- What to read and watch for a novice Java EngineerLearn19 May 2022
- Who can you become in IT?Work13 December 2022
- IT language of the TesterLearn09 January 2023
- Tips from a career consultantWork20 January 2023
- IT language of Data AnalystsLearn06 February 2023
- How to look for a job in 2023Work13 February 2023
- IT Beard talks about Anywhere Club IT communityCommunity19 May 2022
- The Brain-Up project is looking for volunteersWork11 August 2022
- Project Manager responsibilities: tasks and skills vs realityWork31 October 2022
- Teamwork: 5 factors of effective interactionWork03 January 2023
- How to become a Backend DeveloperLearn31 January 2023
- How to give and receive feedback correctlyWork17 February 2023
- Life hacks and impressions of moving to PolandRelocate28 July 2022
- What is mentoring in IT and how does it help you master the profession?Learn27 December 2022
- 30+ useful books for designers in ITLearn20 March 2023
- How to become a DevOpsLearn06 October 2022
- Lithuania: features and life hacksRelocate10 October 2022
- 8 reasons to move to KrakowRelocate26 October 2022
- What to do to get into IT todayWork12 December 2022
- The incredible success story of a switcher in ITWork17 January 2023
- 5 qualities of an ideal Software EngineerLearn17 February 2023
- What does a cosmetologist do in ITWork10 March 2023
- From security guard to DevOpsWork13 March 2023
- Best countries to relocate for IT specialistsRelocate06 June 2022
- From travel agent to a Tester in ITWork20 July 2022
- Where to make friends with blockchainLearn25 August 2022
- Relocation to TurkeyRelocate31 August 2022
- Pros and cons of life in MontenegroRelocate08 September 2022
- “Forget about impostor syndrome”Community18 October 2022
- Life in Italy: what you need to prepareRelocate19 October 2022
- How does a junior get their first job in Singapore?Work22 November 2022
- "Where else but Spain?" — the experience of movingRelocate06 December 2022
- "By the time they come back with an offer, you can give birth"Work27 January 2023
- Skills of a Community ManagerWork06 March 2023
- How to use ChatGPT when writing a CV?AI09 May 2023
- How to start an IT career in testingWork01 June 2022
- Living in Serbia — pros and consRelocate16 June 2022
- Where is Python used and why should you study it in 2022Learn13 July 2022
- What is Data ScienceWork09 August 2022
- 7 soft skills for developersWork27 September 2022
- How to effectively give feedback?Work18 November 2022
- Trends in IT company eventsCommunity30 November 2022
- 10 things beginner startups don't need to doLearn05 January 2023
- Why do job applicants lie in interviewsWork12 January 2023
- How do you increase productivityLearn02 March 2023
- The reality and myths of life in TurkeyRelocate19 May 2022
- Tips for relocating to SerbiaRelocate02 June 2022
- An 8-month journey to Front-EndWork04 July 2022
- The real story of a radical change in professionWork18 July 2022
- Why time management doesn't workLearn19 September 2022
- Relocation to GeorgiaRelocate20 September 2022
- How to manage interview anxietyWork12 October 2022
- Business Analyst in IT: what you need to know and doLearn14 November 2022
- 3 ways to find your dream jobWork24 November 2022
- How to learn Ruby on your ownLearn25 November 2022
- Juniors are needed for companiesWork22 December 2022
- Android: what should beginners and professionals doLearn09 June 2022
- How do expatriates live in UzbekistanRelocate15 June 2022
- What is a vocation, and does it exist in 2022Work20 June 2022
- What are some of the unusual jobs in ITWork21 June 2022
- How to support someone who is stressedCommunity23 June 2022
- The joys and challenges of relocation to HungaryRelocate11 July 2022
- Family traumas in emigrationRelocate03 August 2022
- What impresses in MontenegroRelocate18 August 2022
- Doctor in ITWork24 August 2022
- How to become an HR managerWork05 September 2022
- Top iOS Developer resourcesLearn12 September 2022
- Features of life in GermanyRelocate05 October 2022
- Facilitation: how to conduct it effectivelyWork17 October 2022
- 10 ways to stay on top of IT trendsLearn25 October 2022
- What does a botanist do in IT?Work04 November 2022
- Effectively launching as a junior: an expert's viewWork23 November 2022
- Sent out 500 resumes and moved to UzbekistanWork28 November 2022
- ChatGPT will not replace a human: an expert opinion on IT hypeAI27 February 2023
- 5 myths about IT: true or falseWork19 May 2022
- 5 common questions about relocationRelocate19 May 2022
- To learn how to write code, you have to write codeWork24 May 2022
- The psychological trauma of emigrantsRelocate28 June 2022
- How to avoid burnout and stay productive in 2022Work06 July 2022
- Top 5 startup books to read in 2022Learn27 July 2022
- What do you need to know about the south of SpainRelocate22 August 2022