Top iOS Developer Resources
What and where should iOS developers read, watch, and listen to? Expert advice.
Liudmila Sukhinina, Senior Software Engineer EPAM, explains that before listing useful resources, it should be said that the best of them, as a rule, will be in English. Everything else is just a translation from the original language.
— I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know if I say that for both a beginner and an experienced iOS developer, the primary source of information is the documentation from Apple itself. You can find API links, articles, code, information about new Swift features, examples, documentation from WWDC, information about User Guidelines, and more.
— In second place, I would put the Swift.org resource. There is a lot of information about the Swift language itself, its specifics, best practices, how to work with it, and which features are better to use for what. You can also find links to the source code of the language itself, and see how everything works.
— In addition to the official documentation, the experiences and advice of other developers will be useful. One of the best places to find that real-world information is the site about Objective-C, Swift, and Cocoa — NSHipster. Everything is very clearly structured, with easy navigation by topic. Plus, there are great book recommendations.
— This is a website from Berlin technical experts about iOS and macOS development. You can find a lot of useful videos, books, and articles using various advanced techniques. They also feature releases about concurrent programming and debugging. In addition, they have written several books that definitely deserve attention.
— This is another extremely useful resource that focuses not only on iOS, but also on mobile development in general. It contains free step-by-step guides on various topics, with examples on GitHub, paid courses, e-books, and various articles on iOS, Android, and Flatter.
I will separately note: the book on algorithms and data structures for those who want to delve into this topic and who need a good resource; and the book for beginner iOS developers and those who want to move to a more advanced level.
Articles, books, and other sources
— The choice of application architecture is one of the most important stages of application development, since it determines how flexible the application will be in the future when making changes. It is extremely important at this stage to make as few mistakes as possible, so that dealing with the application will not be excruciatingly painful in the future. The choice of architecture depends on a number of factors that need to be considered. Here and here you can find articles about architectures that are popular in iOS development, an analysis of the pros / cons, and some conclusions based on the results of use.
Every iOS developer, somewhere along their professional path, encounters writing unit tests in one way or another. Therefore, the book iOS Unit Testing by Example will be extremely useful for working with the standard Apple framework XCTest.
If we talk about UI, we should note that, at the moment, Apple is actively promoting SwiftUI instead of the good old UIKit. The transition has not happened yet, and it is unlikely that it will happen anytime soon. So today, a developer is often required to know both frameworks. Follow the link for a tutorial with step-by-step illustrations and screenshots from the code.
After development, when you publish an application in the AppStore, many questions arise. Of course, Apple's official website has a lot of information on the topic — developer.apple.com/app-store/submitting. There is also another good step by step guide.
For those who want to go deeper and understand what happens under the hood of the code signing process, here is an article on how it works from the inside.
If you find it easier to process information in video format, there are a number of YouTube channels about mobile development (not only iOS):
For those who “learn with their ears,” podcasts are a good option:
— There is a lot of content for studying iOS development, and everyone can find a convenient format for consuming it. The key is motivation.
- How to Ask for a Raise or PromotionWork09 Dec 2022
- How to Effectively Give Feedback?Work18 Nov 2022
- Effectively Launching as a Junior: an Expert's ViewWork23 Nov 2022
- How Do You Draw Positive Attention to Yourself?Work23 Dec 2022
- What to Do to Get into IT TodayWork12 Dec 2022
- How to Learn EnglishLearn04 Aug 2022
- Juniors Are Needed for CompaniesWork22 Dec 2022
- Who Can You Become in IT?Work13 Dec 2022
- What Is Mentoring in IT and How Does It Help You Master the Profession?Learn27 Dec 2022
- Teamwork: 5 Factors of Effective InteractionWork03 Jan 2023
- Business Analyst in IT: What You Need to Know and DoLearn14 Nov 2022
- 10 Things Beginner Startups Don't Need to DoLearn05 Jan 2023
- What You Need to Know to Relocate to SerbiaRelocate26 May 2022
- How to Learn Ruby on Your OwnLearn25 Nov 2022
- English Through Music: Learn and Have FunLearn04 Nov 2022
- What Does a Botanist Do in IT?Work04 Nov 2022
- Soft Skills Are 85% of a Person’s Success in a ProfessionWork29 Dec 2022
- Trends in IT Company EventsCommunity30 Nov 2022
- How to Compose a ResumeWork16 Aug 2022
- How to Manage Interview AnxietyWork12 Oct 2022
- "Where Else but Spain?" — the Experience of MovingRelocate06 Dec 2022
- IT Language of the TesterLearn09 Jan 2023
- The Brain-Up Project is Looking for VolunteersVolunteer11 Aug 2022
- Relocation to TurkeyRelocate31 Aug 2022
- The Easiest Programming Languages to LearnLearn07 Sep 2022
- How to Become a DevOpsLearn06 Oct 2022
- “Forget About Impostor Syndrome”Community18 Oct 2022
- 8 Reasons to Move to KrakowRelocate26 Oct 2022
- How to Become a Tester in three weeksWork19 May 2022
- The Reality and Myths of Life in TurkeyRelocate19 May 2022
- IT Beard Talks About Anywhere Club IT CommunityCommunity19 May 2022
- What Should a Beginner Automation QA Engineer LearnLearn29 Sep 2022
- Project Manager Responsibilities: Tasks and Skills vs RealityWork31 Oct 2022
- Home for Every IT Professional in the WorldCommunity19 May 2022
- Living in Serbia — Pros and ConsRelocate16 Jun 2022
- Relocation to GeorgiaRelocate20 Sep 2022
- 3 Ways to Find Your Dream JobWork24 Nov 2022
- Sent out 500 Resumes and Moved to UzbekistanWork28 Nov 2022
- 5 Common Questions about RelocationRelocate19 May 2022
- Relocation is Like the First Child's BirthRelocate23 May 2022
- To Learn How to Write Code, You Have to Write CodeWork24 May 2022
- Lithuania: Features and Life HacksRelocate10 Oct 2022
- 3 Facilitation Case Studies: Better and Worse ScenariosWork31 Oct 2022
- How Does a Junior Get Their First Job in Singapore?Work22 Nov 2022
- Android: What Should Beginners and Professionals DoLearn09 Jun 2022
- What Are Some of the Unusual Jobs in ITWork21 Jun 2022
- The Psychological Trauma of EmigrantsRelocate28 Jun 2022
- How to Avoid Burnout And Stay Productive in 2022Work06 Jul 2022
- What is Data ScienceWork09 Aug 2022
- Why Time Management Doesn't WorkLearn19 Sep 2022
- 5 Myths About IT: True or FalseWork19 May 2022
- What to Read and Watch for a Novice Java EngineerLearn19 May 2022
- How to Start an IT Career in TestingWork01 Jun 2022
- Tips for Relocating to SerbiaRelocate02 Jun 2022
- Best Countries to Relocate for IT SpecialistsRelocate06 Jun 2022
- How Do Expatriates Live in UzbekistanRelocate15 Jun 2022
- What Is a Vocation, and Does It Exist in 2022Work20 Jun 2022
- How to Support Someone Who Is StressedCommunity23 Jun 2022
- 6 Stereotypes About Life in HungaryRelocate30 Jun 2022
- What Impresses in MontenegroRelocate18 Aug 2022
- Where to Make Friends With BlockchainLearn25 Aug 2022
- Doctor in ITWork24 Aug 2022
- How to Become an HR ManagerWork05 Sep 2022
- 7 Soft Skills for DevelopersWork27 Sep 2022
- Features of Life in GermanyRelocate05 Oct 2022
- Facilitation: How to Conduct It EffectivelyWork17 Oct 2022
- Life in Italy: What You Need to PrepareRelocate19 Oct 2022
- 10 Ways to Stay on Top of IT TrendsLearn25 Oct 2022
- An 8-month Journey to Front-EndWork04 Jul 2022
- The Joys And Challenges of Relocation to HungaryRelocate11 Jul 2022
- Where is Python Used And Why Should You Study It in 2022Learn13 Jul 2022
- From Travel Agent to a Tester in ITWork20 Jul 2022
- The Real Story of a Radical Change in ProfessionWork18 Jul 2022
- Top 5 Startup Books to Read in 2022Learn27 Jul 2022
- Life Hacks And Impressions of Moving to PolandRelocate28 Jul 2022
- Family Traumas in EmigrationRelocate03 Aug 2022
- What Do You Need to Know About the South of SpainRelocate22 Aug 2022
- Pros and Cons of Life in MontenegroRelocate08 Sep 2022
- Why Do Job Applicants Lie in Interviews?Work12 Jan 2023
- The Incredible Success Story of a Switcher in ITWork17 Jan 2023
- Tips from a Career ConsultantWork20 Jan 2023
- IT Language of the Business AnalystLearn23 Jan 2023