Who is a mentor in IT and why is one needed
— A mentor in IT is a specialist with practical experience that they are willing to share. A good mentor is both a personal teacher and a career coach.
It seems to me that every specialist needs a mentor in IT, especially a novice. Having a mentor helps you quickly understand how to move up the career ladder in the field that interests you, and understand what the industry is about, supplementing the knowledge that you acquired through courses and books. It is important that a newcomer has a role model in front of their eyes, a mental image of a successful person, to form the impression that "everything worked out with my mentor, and everything will work out for me too."
To become a mentor in IT, you need to be an open and honest person, have the desire to contribute to the professional development of a mentee (a person who wants to learn and achieve something new) and the industry as a whole, and have an hour or two of available time per week.
My first mentoring program was the Women in Tech Academy project. I also worked with members of the Zborka Women community in the Zborka Labs accelerator. A significant number of girls can enter IT and be encouraged to stay through projects like these. I really like working with ambitious young women, of whom there are more and more in this most interesting and traditionally male industry.
I also really love working with students. Therefore, every year I participated in the Startup Heart project and helped student entrepreneurs promote their projects and receive their first investments.
In a less formal way, I constantly communicate with budding entrepreneurs and business owners who are interested in entering the U.S. market.
When you need an IT mentor
— A mentor is needed when you are new to IT and want to examine and understand the field more quickly than you could on your own.
The time for this may be after you have completed some courses and books, once you have set your sights on a specialty and are looking for your first job/internship. Or, later in your career, when you want to change your job, feel a ceiling limiting your career development/salary, and decide that you are no longer satisfied with the status quo.
Generally, you need a mentor in this kind of crisis situation, before you make a big leap in your development — when you have a career growth goal, but don’t yet have a mentor for the leap.
Where to find an IT mentor and how to make the best choice
— There are 3 very simple recommendations for finding a mentor:
- Monitor publications of professionals in the media and social networks, and speeches at conferences and meetings.
- Pay attention to your favorite teacher of courses and trainings.
- Spend time networking and collect recommendations about potential mentors through acquaintances.
It is important not to be afraid to meet gurus who initially seem super cool and as though they will be beyond your reach. I'm always amazed at how open mega-successful professionals are to community engagement and mentorship. Intuition should also prompt you when you are trying to identify "your" mentor. For example, maybe you listened to a speech at a conference and the speaker's experience and path resonated with you. Did you want this person to become your mentor? Go and meet them!
How to work with a mentor
— The process of working with a mentor is unique to the individuals involved: it will always be as you agree and as your schedules and locations allow. The main thing is to set specific mentorship tasks and goals, and establish a schedule of meetings.
And remember that there is also a big benefit to a mentor from working with mentees.
After all, experience is not a "secret" folder: experience can and should be shared with those who want to learn from you. The experience that you pass on assists the development of the industry and the professional community that you are a part of. Experienced professionals once helped me to grow. They still do! As they help me grow, I, too, continue helping others. This is a pay-it-forward concept in action.
Join the Anywhere Club IT community and find your mentor in IT.
- How to Ask for a Raise or PromotionWork09 Dec 2022
- How to Effectively Give Feedback?Work18 Nov 2022
- Effectively Launching as a Junior: an Expert's ViewWork23 Nov 2022
- How Do You Draw Positive Attention to Yourself?Work23 Dec 2022
- What to Do to Get into IT TodayWork12 Dec 2022
- How to Learn EnglishLearn04 Aug 2022
- Juniors Are Needed for CompaniesWork22 Dec 2022
- Who Can You Become in IT?Work13 Dec 2022
- Teamwork: 5 Factors of Effective InteractionWork03 Jan 2023
- Business Analyst in IT: What You Need to Know and DoLearn14 Nov 2022
- 10 Things Beginner Startups Don't Need to DoLearn05 Jan 2023
- What You Need to Know to Relocate to SerbiaRelocate26 May 2022
- How to Learn Ruby on Your OwnLearn25 Nov 2022
- English Through Music: Learn and Have FunLearn04 Nov 2022
- What Does a Botanist Do in IT?Work04 Nov 2022
- Soft Skills Are 85% of a Person’s Success in a ProfessionWork29 Dec 2022
- Trends in IT Company EventsCommunity30 Nov 2022
- How to Compose a ResumeWork16 Aug 2022
- How to Manage Interview AnxietyWork12 Oct 2022
- "Where Else but Spain?" — the Experience of MovingRelocate06 Dec 2022
- IT Language of the TesterLearn09 Jan 2023
- The Brain-Up Project is Looking for VolunteersVolunteer11 Aug 2022
- Relocation to TurkeyRelocate31 Aug 2022
- The Easiest Programming Languages to LearnLearn07 Sep 2022
- How to Become a DevOpsLearn06 Oct 2022
- “Forget About Impostor Syndrome”Community18 Oct 2022
- 8 Reasons to Move to KrakowRelocate26 Oct 2022
- How to Become a Tester in three weeksWork19 May 2022
- The Reality and Myths of Life in TurkeyRelocate19 May 2022
- IT Beard Talks About Anywhere Club IT CommunityCommunity19 May 2022
- What Should a Beginner Automation QA Engineer LearnLearn29 Sep 2022
- Project Manager Responsibilities: Tasks and Skills vs RealityWork31 Oct 2022
- Home for Every IT Professional in the WorldCommunity19 May 2022
- Living in Serbia — Pros and ConsRelocate16 Jun 2022
- Relocation to GeorgiaRelocate20 Sep 2022
- 3 Ways to Find Your Dream JobWork24 Nov 2022
- Sent out 500 Resumes and Moved to UzbekistanWork28 Nov 2022
- 5 Common Questions about RelocationRelocate19 May 2022
- Relocation is Like the First Child's BirthRelocate23 May 2022
- To Learn How to Write Code, You Have to Write CodeWork24 May 2022
- Lithuania: Features and Life HacksRelocate10 Oct 2022
- 3 Facilitation Case Studies: Better and Worse ScenariosWork31 Oct 2022
- How Does a Junior Get Their First Job in Singapore?Work22 Nov 2022
- Android: What Should Beginners and Professionals DoLearn09 Jun 2022
- What Are Some of the Unusual Jobs in ITWork21 Jun 2022
- The Psychological Trauma of EmigrantsRelocate28 Jun 2022
- How to Avoid Burnout And Stay Productive in 2022Work06 Jul 2022
- What is Data ScienceWork09 Aug 2022
- Why Time Management Doesn't WorkLearn19 Sep 2022
- 5 Myths About IT: True or FalseWork19 May 2022
- What to Read and Watch for a Novice Java EngineerLearn19 May 2022
- How to Start an IT Career in TestingWork01 Jun 2022
- Tips for Relocating to SerbiaRelocate02 Jun 2022
- Best Countries to Relocate for IT SpecialistsRelocate06 Jun 2022
- How Do Expatriates Live in UzbekistanRelocate15 Jun 2022
- What Is a Vocation, and Does It Exist in 2022Work20 Jun 2022
- How to Support Someone Who Is StressedCommunity23 Jun 2022
- 6 Stereotypes About Life in HungaryRelocate30 Jun 2022
- What Impresses in MontenegroRelocate18 Aug 2022
- Where to Make Friends With BlockchainLearn25 Aug 2022
- Doctor in ITWork24 Aug 2022
- How to Become an HR ManagerWork05 Sep 2022
- Top iOS Developer ResourcesLearn12 Sep 2022
- 7 Soft Skills for DevelopersWork27 Sep 2022
- Features of Life in GermanyRelocate05 Oct 2022
- Facilitation: How to Conduct It EffectivelyWork17 Oct 2022
- Life in Italy: What You Need to PrepareRelocate19 Oct 2022
- 10 Ways to Stay on Top of IT TrendsLearn25 Oct 2022
- An 8-month Journey to Front-EndWork04 Jul 2022
- The Joys And Challenges of Relocation to HungaryRelocate11 Jul 2022
- Where is Python Used And Why Should You Study It in 2022Learn13 Jul 2022
- From Travel Agent to a Tester in ITWork20 Jul 2022
- The Real Story of a Radical Change in ProfessionWork18 Jul 2022
- Top 5 Startup Books to Read in 2022Learn27 Jul 2022
- Life Hacks And Impressions of Moving to PolandRelocate28 Jul 2022
- Family Traumas in EmigrationRelocate03 Aug 2022
- What Do You Need to Know About the South of SpainRelocate22 Aug 2022
- Pros and Cons of Life in MontenegroRelocate08 Sep 2022
- Why Do Job Applicants Lie in Interviews?Work12 Jan 2023
- The Incredible Success Story of a Switcher in ITWork17 Jan 2023
- Tips from a Career ConsultantWork20 Jan 2023
- IT Language of the Business AnalystLearn23 Jan 2023