What Should a Beginner Automation QA Engineer Learn?
Useful Internet Sources and Books.
Ilya Lyubimov, Automation QA Engineer at EPAM, included links in this article to many of the most common sources for learning programming languages. The information below is exactly what every QA Automation engineer needs to know, and more.
— To work in the IT field, knowing English is a must. You need it to communicate with colleagues, use frameworks, and read documentation.
To test your level, you can take an English test.
Level B1-B2 will be enough. To improve your level, you can go to an excellent site that offers courses to assist with grammar, reading, and correct pronunciation; and it's free. If you want to practice in a playful way, DuoLingo is here to help.
- Testing dot com, by Roman Savin — This book is a must-read for novice testers. It easily guides you through the topic, compares Russian and English-speaking concepts, explains terminology, and offers many useful examples.
- Are you smart enough to be a tester?? by Mukesh Sharma — This book is an introduction to a career as a software test engineer.
- Learn Testing in 1 Day: Definitive Guide to Learn Software Testing for Beginners, by Krishna Rungta — This book is designed for beginners with little or no prior software testing experience.
- Head First Java, by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates — The book will help you get started learning Java.
- The Way of the Web Tester: A Beginner's Guide to Automating Tests, by Jonathan Rasmusson — A book for anyone who needs to test web applications. It will help you better understand developers and decide how to organize and write a framework. It will also deepen your knowledge of integration, unit testing, and testing interfaces.
- Core Java, Volumes I and II, by Cay S. Horstmann and Gary Cornell — This book is intended for experienced programmers who want to write useful Java applications.
- Software Testing: A Beginner's Guide Learn Software Testing In 1 Day: Software Testing For Beginners Guide, by Rob Muraoka — This is another very good book for people with no software testing experience. It covers all the main types of testing, talks about Agile testing, and explores the features of application testing in different subject areas.
If you have not yet decided what to read in the near future, then here you can find another list of the best Java books for beginners.
Google and StackOverflow
Yes, it is obvious, but at the very beginning, you will frequently look for answers on Google and StackOverflow. To do so, it is important to be able to formulate questions correctly and concisely, and to deconstruct your problem into elementary tasks, for which you will be able to find answers quickly. This is a very important skill. It will increase your productivity, and then help you correctly formulate tasks and sub-tasks for yourself and your colleagues.
This is a website where you can learn how to use .NET to create applications on any platform using C#, F#, and Visual Basic. Browse API references, sample code, tutorials, and more.
Using this resource, you can learn how to write any application using the C# programming language on the .NET platform.
The site helps developers get to know the Java ecosystem better. There are many useful courses here, especially on the Spring Framework. Practical issues are clearly described.
The Java Tutorials are practical guides for programmers who want to use the Java programming language to create applications. They include hundreds of complete, working examples, and dozens of lessons.
— There are a variety of frameworks and libraries that QA automation engineers use in their work. It is important to identify the main technologies that you will be using and know where to go in case you have questions. For each specialist, the stack of technologies will be different. Once you identify yours, documentation for each technology must be searched on the Internet site of developers.
In addition to focusing on the technologies, increase your knowledge of English. How? Change the settings on your equipment to English, read the news in English, watch TV series and movies in the original with subtitles. This will help you increase your vocabulary, memorize slang phrases, and learn frequently used constructions for various life situations by ear.
Regardless of the number of materials you read and perhaps even learn, practice is necessary. So, test, test, and test again!
- English Through Music: Learn and Have FunLearn04 Nov 2022
- Effectively Launching as a Junior: an Expert's ViewWork23 Nov 2022
- 3 Ways to Find Your Dream JobWork24 Nov 2022
- Project Manager Responsibilities: Tasks and Skills vs RealityWork31 Oct 2022
- “Forget About Impostor Syndrome”Community18 Oct 2022
- How to Learn EnglishLearn04 Aug 2022
- How Does a Junior Get Their First Job in Singapore?Work22 Nov 2022
- 8 Reasons to Move to KrakowRelocate26 Oct 2022
- Trends in IT Company EventsCommunity30 Nov 2022
- The Brain-Up Project is Looking for VolunteersVolunteer11 Aug 2022
- 3 Facilitation Case Studies: Better and Worse ScenariosWork31 Oct 2022
- What You Need to Know to Relocate to SerbiaRelocate26 May 2022
- Business Analyst in IT: What You Need to Know and DoLearn14 Nov 2022
- How to Learn Ruby on Your OwnLearn25 Nov 2022
- Life in Italy: What You Need to PrepareRelocate19 Oct 2022
- How to Manage Interview AnxietyWork12 Oct 2022
- 10 Ways to Stay on Top of IT TrendsLearn25 Oct 2022
- What Does a Botanist Do in IT?Work04 Nov 2022
- How to Effectively Give Feedback?Work18 Nov 2022
- Relocation to GeorgiaRelocate20 Sep 2022
- How to Become a Tester in three weeksWork19 May 2022
- How to Compose a ResumeWork16 Aug 2022
- Sent out 500 Resumes and Moved to UzbekistanWork28 Nov 2022
- How to Become a DevOpsLearn06 Oct 2022
- "Where Else but Spain?" — the Experience of MovingRelocate06 Dec 2022
- IT Beard Talks About Anywhere Club IT CommunityCommunity19 May 2022
- The Easiest Programming Languages to LearnLearn07 Sep 2022
- Lithuania: Features and Life HacksRelocate10 Oct 2022
- Home for Every IT Professional in the WorldCommunity19 May 2022
- Living in Serbia — Pros and ConsRelocate16 Jun 2022
- Life Hacks And Impressions of Moving to PolandRelocate28 Jul 2022
- Relocation to TurkeyRelocate31 Aug 2022
- What Is a Vocation, and Does It Exist in 2022Work20 Jun 2022
- What Do You Need to Know About the South of SpainRelocate22 Aug 2022
- Facilitation: How to Conduct It EffectivelyWork17 Oct 2022
- How to Start an IT Career in TestingWork01 Jun 2022
- Pros and Cons of Life in MontenegroRelocate08 Sep 2022
- 7 Soft Skills for DevelopersWork27 Sep 2022
- 5 Common Questions about RelocationRelocate19 May 2022
- Best Countries to Relocate for IT SpecialistsRelocate06 Jun 2022
- From Travel Agent to a Tester in ITWork20 Jul 2022
- Why Time Management Doesn't WorkLearn19 Sep 2022
- What to Read and Watch for a Novice Java EngineerLearn19 May 2022
- Relocation is Like the First Child's BirthRelocate23 May 2022
- Tips for Relocating to SerbiaRelocate02 Jun 2022
- What Are Some of the Unusual Jobs in ITWork21 Jun 2022
- The Psychological Trauma of EmigrantsRelocate28 Jun 2022
- An 8-month Journey to Front-EndWork04 Jul 2022
- 6 Stereotypes About Life in HungaryRelocate30 Jun 2022
- The Real Story of a Radical Change in ProfessionWork18 Jul 2022
- Top 5 Startup Books to Read in 2022Learn27 Jul 2022
- What is Data ScienceWork09 Aug 2022
- Doctor in ITWork24 Aug 2022
- 5 Myths About IT: True or FalseWork19 May 2022
- The Reality and Myths of Life in TurkeyRelocate19 May 2022
- To Learn How to Write Code, You Have to Write CodeWork24 May 2022
- Android: What Should Beginners and Professionals DoLearn09 Jun 2022
- How Do Expatriates Live in UzbekistanRelocate15 Jun 2022
- How to Support Someone Who Is StressedCommunity23 Jun 2022
- How to Avoid Burnout And Stay Productive in 2022Work06 Jul 2022
- The Joys And Challenges of Relocation to HungaryRelocate11 Jul 2022
- Where is Python Used And Why Should You Study It in 2022Learn13 Jul 2022
- Family Traumas in EmigrationRelocate03 Aug 2022
- What Impresses in MontenegroRelocate18 Aug 2022
- Where to Make Friends With BlockchainLearn25 Aug 2022
- How to Become an HR ManagerWork05 Sep 2022
- Top iOS Developer ResourcesLearn12 Sep 2022
- Features of Life in GermanyRelocate05 Oct 2022