How to Avoid Burnout and Stay Productive in 2022
Multitasking, proactivity, and curiosity — generally, these are the qualities of a successful employee. How can you avoid burning out and stay productive and on track in your pursuit of self-improvement? Business analyst Yuliya Kryvuseva has some tips for you.
— There are numerous articles about how to be a successful professional. The list of recommendations might differ, but the most common ones are being proactive, being curious, sharpening hard and soft skills, and going the extra mile. Today, we operate in a dynamic environment with busy schedules, diverse clients, tight budgets, and increasing scale. Work overload, overtime, and work-related stress can easily become the norm. As a result, we may take on more than we can handle. Trying to maintain this pace means that we not only risk losing our enthusiasm, but, ultimately, we risk burning out. A colleague who suffered from burnout shared her experience and advice on how to handle it with Yuliya, who shares it with you below.
What caused burnout in this case?
— Switching between tasks and intensive communication were the main factors that contributed to burnout in this case. Switching between numerous tasks consumed a lot of time, and each switch required considerableeffort to become familiar with the new task. The requirement for daily communication added to the burden because it used a lot of energy and resources. Since she loved her work, Yuliya’s colleague persevered, but she came to realize that her working days routinely lasted more than 12 hours, and this continued for several months with no end in sight. Conversations with management did not resolve the issue. In the end, she resigned.
How can you make changes to avoid burnout?
What can you learn from the experience of Yuliya’s colleague, and what can you do to avoid a similar fate?
Manage your work, and your time
- Plan, estimate, allocate. Daily, weekly, and monthly plans with a to-do list (or lists) will help you schedule your work and book the appropriate amounts of time in your calendar.
- Group. If you run several streams, group stream-related tasks and allocate a specific amount of time for their completion. This helps you reduce unnecessary switching between tasks and be more focused, increasing your efficiency.
- Prioritize. The Eisenhower Matrix helps set priorities for tasks that do not have external dependencies(those that require other people's involvement, for example).
The technique categorizes tasks based on urgency and importance.
Focus on your work
- Reserve meeting-free days in your calendar. Not only will this give you a rest from constant communications, it will also allow you to focus on tasks you need to complete.
- Use the 'Do not disturb' status in messengers to minimize potential distractions and improve your productivity.
- If possible, shorten your list of household chores and find time to relax. Remember that you can delegate or allow yourself to be lazy. There are many things that need to be done, but don’t have to be done right now.
- Use health gadgets that track your heart rate or energy levels. This can help you tune in and manage your personal energy resources around the clock.
Give yourself a break
- Do not beat yourself up if something is not done. If the work has been postponed several times already, it probably does not require immediate attention and perhaps can even be ignored.
- Do not force yourself to work if you are exhausted and need some rest. All of us are generally obliged to follow the rules, but sometimes, making an exception is the best course of action. For instance, if you are exhausted and feel the need for a nap, it may be better to take a short nap and then return to work afterward with renewed energy.
- Take time off from work. Even if you just take a break from work for a few hours, it will help you refreshyour mind, your creativity, and your problem-solving abilities. You can also try a workation, allocating part of the day for work and the remainder for rest. The change of scenery will give you an additional boost.
Don’t suffer in silence
- Communicate your worries and concerns to your management. It is important not only to be heard, but to have the opportunity to collaboratively find the most appropriate solution for your specific situation.
Take care of yourself
- Find a method for an emotional detox. This can be a hobby or any activity that helps you change your focus away from work. For instance, walking, visiting gardens, cycling, it can be anything that works for you.
Burnout is dangerous. It can have a negative influence on our mental and physical health, impacting all aspects of our life. There are various techniques that can help you avoid burnout, or to cope with it. It’s up to each of us to decide what will work best for us.
- How to Ask for a Raise or PromotionWork09 Dec 2022
- How to Effectively Give Feedback?Work18 Nov 2022
- Effectively Launching as a Junior: an Expert's ViewWork23 Nov 2022
- How Do You Draw Positive Attention to Yourself?Work23 Dec 2022
- What to Do to Get into IT TodayWork12 Dec 2022
- How to Learn EnglishLearn04 Aug 2022
- Juniors Are Needed for CompaniesWork22 Dec 2022
- Who Can You Become in IT?Work13 Dec 2022
- What Is Mentoring in IT and How Does It Help You Master the Profession?Learn27 Dec 2022
- Teamwork: 5 Factors of Effective InteractionWork03 Jan 2023
- Business Analyst in IT: What You Need to Know and DoLearn14 Nov 2022
- 10 Things Beginner Startups Don't Need to DoLearn05 Jan 2023
- What You Need to Know to Relocate to SerbiaRelocate26 May 2022
- How to Learn Ruby on Your OwnLearn25 Nov 2022
- English Through Music: Learn and Have FunLearn04 Nov 2022
- What Does a Botanist Do in IT?Work04 Nov 2022
- Soft Skills Are 85% of a Person’s Success in a ProfessionWork29 Dec 2022
- Trends in IT Company EventsCommunity30 Nov 2022
- How to Compose a ResumeWork16 Aug 2022
- How to Manage Interview AnxietyWork12 Oct 2022
- "Where Else but Spain?" — the Experience of MovingRelocate06 Dec 2022
- IT Language of the TesterLearn09 Jan 2023
- The Brain-Up Project is Looking for VolunteersVolunteer11 Aug 2022
- Relocation to TurkeyRelocate31 Aug 2022
- The Easiest Programming Languages to LearnLearn07 Sep 2022
- How to Become a DevOpsLearn06 Oct 2022
- “Forget About Impostor Syndrome”Community18 Oct 2022
- 8 Reasons to Move to KrakowRelocate26 Oct 2022
- How to Become a Tester in three weeksWork19 May 2022
- The Reality and Myths of Life in TurkeyRelocate19 May 2022
- IT Beard Talks About Anywhere Club IT CommunityCommunity19 May 2022
- What Should a Beginner Automation QA Engineer LearnLearn29 Sep 2022
- Project Manager Responsibilities: Tasks and Skills vs RealityWork31 Oct 2022
- Home for Every IT Professional in the WorldCommunity19 May 2022
- Living in Serbia — Pros and ConsRelocate16 Jun 2022
- Relocation to GeorgiaRelocate20 Sep 2022
- 3 Ways to Find Your Dream JobWork24 Nov 2022
- Sent out 500 Resumes and Moved to UzbekistanWork28 Nov 2022
- 5 Common Questions about RelocationRelocate19 May 2022
- Relocation is Like the First Child's BirthRelocate23 May 2022
- To Learn How to Write Code, You Have to Write CodeWork24 May 2022
- Lithuania: Features and Life HacksRelocate10 Oct 2022
- 3 Facilitation Case Studies: Better and Worse ScenariosWork31 Oct 2022
- How Does a Junior Get Their First Job in Singapore?Work22 Nov 2022
- Android: What Should Beginners and Professionals DoLearn09 Jun 2022
- What Are Some of the Unusual Jobs in ITWork21 Jun 2022
- The Psychological Trauma of EmigrantsRelocate28 Jun 2022
- What is Data ScienceWork09 Aug 2022
- Why Time Management Doesn't WorkLearn19 Sep 2022
- 5 Myths About IT: True or FalseWork19 May 2022
- What to Read and Watch for a Novice Java EngineerLearn19 May 2022
- How to Start an IT Career in TestingWork01 Jun 2022
- Tips for Relocating to SerbiaRelocate02 Jun 2022
- Best Countries to Relocate for IT SpecialistsRelocate06 Jun 2022
- How Do Expatriates Live in UzbekistanRelocate15 Jun 2022
- What Is a Vocation, and Does It Exist in 2022Work20 Jun 2022
- How to Support Someone Who Is StressedCommunity23 Jun 2022
- 6 Stereotypes About Life in HungaryRelocate30 Jun 2022
- What Impresses in MontenegroRelocate18 Aug 2022
- Where to Make Friends With BlockchainLearn25 Aug 2022
- Doctor in ITWork24 Aug 2022
- How to Become an HR ManagerWork05 Sep 2022
- Top iOS Developer ResourcesLearn12 Sep 2022
- 7 Soft Skills for DevelopersWork27 Sep 2022
- Features of Life in GermanyRelocate05 Oct 2022
- Facilitation: How to Conduct It EffectivelyWork17 Oct 2022
- Life in Italy: What You Need to PrepareRelocate19 Oct 2022
- 10 Ways to Stay on Top of IT TrendsLearn25 Oct 2022
- An 8-month Journey to Front-EndWork04 Jul 2022
- The Joys And Challenges of Relocation to HungaryRelocate11 Jul 2022
- Where is Python Used And Why Should You Study It in 2022Learn13 Jul 2022
- From Travel Agent to a Tester in ITWork20 Jul 2022
- The Real Story of a Radical Change in ProfessionWork18 Jul 2022
- Top 5 Startup Books to Read in 2022Learn27 Jul 2022
- Life Hacks And Impressions of Moving to PolandRelocate28 Jul 2022
- Family Traumas in EmigrationRelocate03 Aug 2022
- What Do You Need to Know About the South of SpainRelocate22 Aug 2022
- Pros and Cons of Life in MontenegroRelocate08 Sep 2022
- Why Do Job Applicants Lie in Interviews?Work12 Jan 2023
- The Incredible Success Story of a Switcher in ITWork17 Jan 2023
- Tips from a Career ConsultantWork20 Jan 2023
- IT Language of the Business AnalystLearn23 Jan 2023