From Online Stores to a NASA Rover: Where is Python Used and Why Should You Study it in 2022?
Python — what is this programming language? Why is it popular today and in what areas is it used? EPAM Lead Software Engineer, Yury Zaitsev, answers these and other questions below specifically for the Anywhere Club blog.
What is Python?
— Simply put, Python is a high-level programming language in which you can write almost everything. Python has been around for a while. The first outlines of what would become Python appeared in 1989, and Python 1.0 first saw the light of day in 1994. To be clear, this was very different from Python 2.0, which was released in 2000. In version 2.0, Python really hit its stride, and became a very popular programming language that developed rapidly. The current version, Python 3.0, was released in 2008.
What is the Python programming language for?
— In theory, the Python language can be used in any situation in which a programming language is needed: from developing a simple online store to a NASA rover. Truly. The Perseverance Ingenuity rover drone software was developed using F Prime. F Prime is a multi-component spacecraft modeling and software development framework created by NASA. It is written in C++ and Python. Most of it, of course, is in C++, but about 25% of it is still Python. In reality, though, it is not always advisable to use Python.
What is Python good for?
— Scope of Python — the areas in which Python is a superior tool are various and diverse. I suggest that the main areas in which it stands out are as follows:
Development of back-end web applications
Solving scientific and near-scientific problems such as calculations, data analysis, and visualization.
This includes on-board computers in vehicles and robot vacuum cleaners. You can find details here: MicroPython.
The downsides of Python are harder to identify. There are no bad programming languages, but there are misuses. If you try to come up with one downside, it will likely be speed. Out of the box, CPython is significantly inferior in performance to compiled languages like C, because it is more high-level.
- High speed is not always needed.
- Popular libraries for data processing where performance is important usually use C-extensions and run at nearly the speed of C.
- Solutions like Cython, Numba, and PyPy introduce certain limitations, but they can greatly improve performance.
What kinds of things is Python not well-suited for and when is it better to choose a more appropriate tool?
Developing front-end web applications
Why is Python popular?
Which large companies use Python today?
A huge number of companies around the world use Python. Some of the largest and most recognizable include the following:
- Google uses Python as one of its main programming languages, Microsoft actively uses it for web services, and Amazon uses it everywhere.
- Dropbox, Spotify, Instagram, and Reddit are all mostly written in Python.
- Netflix and Uber are not fully written in Python, but they actively use it.
- In games such as World of Tanks and EVE Online, the server part was written in Python.
Should I start learning Python in 2022?
— Python is now more popular than ever. Last year, it was at the top of the TIOBE index, overtaking C and Java. It is being actively developed, the syntax is expanding, and the “problems” often associated with Python, such as poor performance, are gradually being solved. There are also more and more open libraries in PyPI.
How long does it take to learn Python?
— It will take 3-4 months to learn the basics. Then, it is helpful to work “on the hook” for 3-6 months to see how everything works in practice.
What do you need to do to get started with Python?
— Python is hard not to like: it is a very concise and simple language, it is written quickly, and it has a lot of “batteries”. Plus, if you ever find yourself getting bored in your current position, while continuing to use Python you can transition to work as a test automation engineer, a machine learning engineer, and even a data analyst.
- How to Ask for a Raise or PromotionWork09 Dec 2022
- How to Effectively Give Feedback?Work18 Nov 2022
- Effectively Launching as a Junior: an Expert's ViewWork23 Nov 2022
- How Do You Draw Positive Attention to Yourself?Work23 Dec 2022
- What to Do to Get into IT TodayWork12 Dec 2022
- How to Learn EnglishLearn04 Aug 2022
- Juniors Are Needed for CompaniesWork22 Dec 2022
- Who Can You Become in IT?Work13 Dec 2022
- What Is Mentoring in IT and How Does It Help You Master the Profession?Learn27 Dec 2022
- Teamwork: 5 Factors of Effective InteractionWork03 Jan 2023
- Business Analyst in IT: What You Need to Know and DoLearn14 Nov 2022
- 10 Things Beginner Startups Don't Need to DoLearn05 Jan 2023
- What You Need to Know to Relocate to SerbiaRelocate26 May 2022
- How to Learn Ruby on Your OwnLearn25 Nov 2022
- English Through Music: Learn and Have FunLearn04 Nov 2022
- What Does a Botanist Do in IT?Work04 Nov 2022
- Soft Skills Are 85% of a Person’s Success in a ProfessionWork29 Dec 2022
- Trends in IT Company EventsCommunity30 Nov 2022
- How to Compose a ResumeWork16 Aug 2022
- How to Manage Interview AnxietyWork12 Oct 2022
- "Where Else but Spain?" — the Experience of MovingRelocate06 Dec 2022
- IT Language of the TesterLearn09 Jan 2023
- The Brain-Up Project is Looking for VolunteersVolunteer11 Aug 2022
- Relocation to TurkeyRelocate31 Aug 2022
- The Easiest Programming Languages to LearnLearn07 Sep 2022
- How to Become a DevOpsLearn06 Oct 2022
- “Forget About Impostor Syndrome”Community18 Oct 2022
- 8 Reasons to Move to KrakowRelocate26 Oct 2022
- How to Become a Tester in three weeksWork19 May 2022
- The Reality and Myths of Life in TurkeyRelocate19 May 2022
- IT Beard Talks About Anywhere Club IT CommunityCommunity19 May 2022
- What Should a Beginner Automation QA Engineer LearnLearn29 Sep 2022
- Project Manager Responsibilities: Tasks and Skills vs RealityWork31 Oct 2022
- Home for Every IT Professional in the WorldCommunity19 May 2022
- Living in Serbia — Pros and ConsRelocate16 Jun 2022
- Relocation to GeorgiaRelocate20 Sep 2022
- 3 Ways to Find Your Dream JobWork24 Nov 2022
- Sent out 500 Resumes and Moved to UzbekistanWork28 Nov 2022
- 5 Common Questions about RelocationRelocate19 May 2022
- Relocation is Like the First Child's BirthRelocate23 May 2022
- To Learn How to Write Code, You Have to Write CodeWork24 May 2022
- Lithuania: Features and Life HacksRelocate10 Oct 2022
- 3 Facilitation Case Studies: Better and Worse ScenariosWork31 Oct 2022
- How Does a Junior Get Their First Job in Singapore?Work22 Nov 2022
- Android: What Should Beginners and Professionals DoLearn09 Jun 2022
- What Are Some of the Unusual Jobs in ITWork21 Jun 2022
- The Psychological Trauma of EmigrantsRelocate28 Jun 2022
- How to Avoid Burnout And Stay Productive in 2022Work06 Jul 2022
- What is Data ScienceWork09 Aug 2022
- Why Time Management Doesn't WorkLearn19 Sep 2022
- 5 Myths About IT: True or FalseWork19 May 2022
- What to Read and Watch for a Novice Java EngineerLearn19 May 2022
- How to Start an IT Career in TestingWork01 Jun 2022
- Tips for Relocating to SerbiaRelocate02 Jun 2022
- Best Countries to Relocate for IT SpecialistsRelocate06 Jun 2022
- How Do Expatriates Live in UzbekistanRelocate15 Jun 2022
- What Is a Vocation, and Does It Exist in 2022Work20 Jun 2022
- How to Support Someone Who Is StressedCommunity23 Jun 2022
- 6 Stereotypes About Life in HungaryRelocate30 Jun 2022
- What Impresses in MontenegroRelocate18 Aug 2022
- Where to Make Friends With BlockchainLearn25 Aug 2022
- Doctor in ITWork24 Aug 2022
- How to Become an HR ManagerWork05 Sep 2022
- Top iOS Developer ResourcesLearn12 Sep 2022
- 7 Soft Skills for DevelopersWork27 Sep 2022
- Features of Life in GermanyRelocate05 Oct 2022
- Facilitation: How to Conduct It EffectivelyWork17 Oct 2022
- Life in Italy: What You Need to PrepareRelocate19 Oct 2022
- 10 Ways to Stay on Top of IT TrendsLearn25 Oct 2022
- An 8-month Journey to Front-EndWork04 Jul 2022
- The Joys And Challenges of Relocation to HungaryRelocate11 Jul 2022
- From Travel Agent to a Tester in ITWork20 Jul 2022
- The Real Story of a Radical Change in ProfessionWork18 Jul 2022
- Top 5 Startup Books to Read in 2022Learn27 Jul 2022
- Life Hacks And Impressions of Moving to PolandRelocate28 Jul 2022
- Family Traumas in EmigrationRelocate03 Aug 2022
- What Do You Need to Know About the South of SpainRelocate22 Aug 2022
- Pros and Cons of Life in MontenegroRelocate08 Sep 2022
- Why Do Job Applicants Lie in Interviews?Work12 Jan 2023
- The Incredible Success Story of a Switcher in ITWork17 Jan 2023
- Tips from a Career ConsultantWork20 Jan 2023
- IT Language of the Business AnalystLearn23 Jan 2023
- "By the Time They Come Back with an Offer, You Сan Give Birth"Work27 Jan 2023
- How to Become a Backend DeveloperLearn31 Jan 2023
- How can a programmer without work experience find a jobWork01 Feb 2023